Why hire a doula?
A doula does not just provide prenatal education, emotional support, physical support, helpful resources, and encouragement. Research has shown that there are also other advantages to having a doula, such as:
- More likely to have a spontaneous birth (normal, vaginal birth)
- Lower rates of cesarean births, forceps or vacuums
- Less likely to be induced
- Less likely to use pain medication, including epidurals
- Slightly shorter labors
- Decreased perception of pain
- More likely for parents to be satisfied
- Healthier babies immediately postpartum
- Greater success with breastfeeding
- Better mother/baby interaction
- Decreased chance of postpartum depression
(Data from "Mothering the Mother" by Klaus, Kennell and Klaus, 1993)
"If a doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it."
John H. Kennell M.D.
"If I do not know my options, I don't have any."